Blaze Destroys Late 1800's Building Once Home To Former Humpfree's & Sportspage
FIRE DESTROYS HISTORIC BUILDING- Several Shreveport fire companies responded to a blaze in the historic Shreve Square late yesterday afternoon. Smoke from the riverfront entertainment district could be seen billowing for miles as emergency crews responded to contain the blaze. 22 fire units initially responded and by 6:45pm that number increased to 32.
The area where the fire was concentrated was in the 100 block of Texas Street in a building that housed the former Humpfrees’s a popular live music venue back in the late 70’s through the 80’s. and Sports Page, a unique three-story sports bar. Those businesses were long-gone and the buildings had been in a state of neglect and disrepair for years.
Nearby businesses like the Chicago Club and Blind Tiger apparently did not burn but it’s reported the Blind Tiger likely received smoke, Both businesses will remain closed today pending further assessment. Early this morning Spring Street remained closed to traffic between Milam and Travis streets due to the fire.
The building that burned is an old one, dating to the late 1800s and had been empty for years. It was purchased a few years ago by a man from Monroe, the building appears to be a total loss. No reports of any injuries. According to a social media post by the Downtown Development Authority, a city bulldozer will move in to push in the remaining walls of 114 Texas to prevent them from falling on people or things nearby.